Friday, September 14, 2007

SO lets see. I didnt get paid today! My first real payday in 6 weeks and they dont pay me a penny! I guess this deserves a little explanation though. But I must start from the beginning

Japanese People:
Japanese people are very quick to judge. I dont think its a hateful sentiment though, but rather safety and comfort are the motivives. The story that strikes me most was from a conversation with a middle-aged Japanese woman. She was telling me how she wanted to go to Beijing for the olympics, but that a bridge had recently collapsed, so perhaps visiting Beijing wasnt safe. Perhaps, something was lost in translation, but there are many such examples perhaps to a lesser extent of absurdity.

So then Nova:
Apparently Nova had a big lawsuit a few months ago. I:ll explain it like this. If a doghnut costs $1, then 12 costs $12. But usually the baker would drop the price to $10. Say you come back a week later, and want to return 6 of the doughnuts. Well, instead of giving you half your money back, the baker charges you the price for each individual doughnut and pays you the difference. Instead of getting $5, you get $4. SO you end up paying $6 for 6 doughnuts.

Well basically, Nova got sued, because the customers thought they should get the whole $5 instead of just $4. But there was a little bit more involved. Basically, the students werent able to enroll in classes because all the classes were full. And on top of that when they were sold the package deal, they were told that they would be able to enroll in classes.

Long story short, Nova got sued, lost the case, and now the company is strapped for cash. Luckily Im sitting on about $1000, but all the money is in American cash. So I go too the bank today, and see that I have the equivalent of $6 in my account. All the banks are closed all weekend, I have no groceries, and I have $1 in my pocket. I was a little upset. So i walked into Nova in my T-shirt and jeans, and asked what was going on. . . In the end, it was sorted out, because the post office could exchange my money for me. So I exchanged $200, and now me and Jordan are going out to Masters for a $20 meal, so that we can celebrate, and laugh at the poor suckers who are still strapped for cash.

So now, I have a plane ticket home on Oct 9th, and well, it might be a good idea not to keep working for a company that doesnt pay you on time, so we'll see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home