Saturday, September 01, 2007

Eric-

Yesterday, me and Joanna (The Boston Girl. Im promoting her in the blog to a first name basis) called it quits, so to console myself, last night I went out for a beer at a small bar called Xelhas. Theres a really small group of foreigners in the town I live in, and the crowd that I run in totals about 30 foreigners. Most of whom work at Nova. Somehow last night, everybody seemed to gravitate towards Xelhas, and there was a group of about 10 of us. We start the night off telling funny Japan stories, most of which involve Alcohol.

A few people scatter off, and then I get invited to have one drink at another bar. Somehow, I cant bring myself to say no, so Im off for more drinks at the Pink Door. Then I get invited to have one more drink at SDR, and still I cant bring myself to say no. At SDR, we meet a couple of Japanese girls. Now, Simon has a little Mongolian girlfriend who speaks perfect Japanese, and seriously in Japan, she makes the best wingman Ive ever known. (In reality most wingmen turn into cockblocks as they try to hit on the girl that you are hitting on. And then the next day, they brag about how they are the best wingman on the planet.)  Anyways, since I cant really speak Japanese, the mogolian girl, Tanga spits all my game for me. Beyond that, she knows exactly what every Japanese girl wants to hear, so I dont even have to try to figure out the right thing to say in English.

Not that its completely effort free though. From teaching English, Ive mastered how to carry on an English conversation with a Japanese person who doesnt even speak much English. However, for her speaking English is very knew, and she hasnt even done it since high school. So I get to sit back calm and relaxed asking her a bunch of stupid questions, and meanwhile she shyly struggles to respond.

So we chill with those girls for a couple drinks and then its off to Joes bar for some karaoke. We invite the girls along, and they accept, so we know they must be interested. So at Joes bar, we come across Eric, Eric is sound asleep sitting on a bar stool and just leaning back on the wall. Ive met Eric three times, and it seems that everywhere that Eric goes he is prepared because he always has a huge backpack and his bicycle helmet lying on the floor right beside hime. He is in his late 30s, early 40s, speaks fluent Japanese, and hes one of the few foreigners in this town that dont teach English. Actually, I have no idea what he does.

Anyways we walk into the bar, and we see him sound asleep. Simon sits right next to him, and starts poking at him, urging him to sing some Karaoke. Eric comes to, half concious and punches in a 7 digit karaoke number that he knows by heart, and it turns out to be "the sound of silence" by Simon and Garfunkel. By the time the music starts, Eric is 100% and ready to start going, however the sound of silence wasnt so silent. Eric just completely makes up his own rendition of the song that only uses a few of the actual lines in the song, and rather than a harmonious soothing song, he changes it into a loud obnoxious song, and screams the word "silence" everytime it comes around. The whole song he adds in completely fucked up phrases like the "sound of Iraqi Silence." The whole time, me and Simon are cracking up laughing, and Im damn near about to fall off my chair with laughter. I just couldn believe this guy coming fully to in the nmatter of seconds and making up this ridiculous song. It was fucking classsic.

Well then, I pick out an MJ song, and got so lost that we decide to cancel. And then we continue Karaoke for a couple hours. I sang "I got my mind set on you" by GEORGE HARRISON, and it was a real hit, but then I showed some Texas pride and sang "friends in low places" by Garth Brooks, and it didnt get quite the reception that it gets back home. Actually nobody else in the bar had ever even heard the song. A little embarrassing.

But at this point, Eric has fallen back to sleep in his barstool, and finally, he gets out of his barstool, and sprawls himself out on the floor. Mind you, this is a small Japanese bar, that is basically the size of a long hallway with a bar, so everytime we get up to go to the bathroom, we literrally have to walk over him. The thing about it is, that Eric wasnt completely pissed, he just didnt want to go home. Id say we was going strong, but he was really just going. Apparently just the night before, he spent the night at that bar on one of the couches.

Anyways the nights coming to an end, so I get the Japanese girls phone number, and then the bar closes. At Karaoke, they have a song that they put on that basically means get the fuck out of my bar. Personally Im ready to go, but all the Japanese people are going strong, loving every moment. They even stuck around for one more song, and then we finally stumble out of the bar at 6:15 AM. And I was just going out for a drink.

Well, there it is, I suppose that the blog will be a bit more interesting now that Im not pining after Joanna anymore, but, Im not too thrilled about it.

[Edit: I never called the Japanese girl mentioned above due to important circumstances]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home