Monday, May 07, 2007

One post/day. Hell, my life sure as shit ain't that interesting. So I'm gonna write a book review on Gandhi: An Autobiography, My Experiments with the Truth.

So this is a book that I would certainly recommend, however, it is EXTREMELY boring. First off, Gandhi leaves out most of the exciting events that happened in South Africa because he wrote a seperate book about that. And he left out all the exciting stuff that happened in India because he hadn't done any of them yet.

So, what's left to fill the other 500 pages? Basically every mundane interaction with insignificant people, entire chapters about vegetarianism, and descriptions of useless events such as his boat ride to England.

Why would I still recommend it? Becuase you get a great amount of incite into the mind of a truly great man. In case you don't ever want read 500 pages for the incite, I'll sum it up in one word: Integrity. Gandhi was constantly examining how to do the best possible thing, and he always did it. Gandhi never told anything that even resembled a lie. He never had any kind of sex whatsoever after he made the commitment to do so. And he never ate any kind of animal product whatsoever. Until he was about to die of malnutrition. He decided that living for India's independence was more important than his personal conviction so he started drinking goat's milk.

And now my problem is that I'm convinced. I can never tell any small lie, commit any small theft, and I'm considering limitting my diet to things that I'm willing to kill like fish. Don't get me wrong, I'll still fuck anything that moves - including transvestites. (j/k)

It might sound simple enough to do, but it starts to add up when you have to delete all your mp3s, claim all your taxes, and not tell Japanese girls that you are an astronaut. Make a commitment to 100% truth, and I guarantee that you will find it isn't as simple as it sounds. There's just too much to gain from telling a harmless lie or stealing an mp3. Fuck you Gandhi! Seriously though, after reading this book, my integrity doesn't have a price, and I'm done with any type of lie, and that's why I recommend this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home