Thursday, January 05, 2006

[Edit Disclaimer: Don't like football, don't read. Move on to the next post]

Well, for all you who enjoy my poker intensive posts (and by all you, I really just mean "me" because I might be the only one who enjpys them), here's a football intensive post. I had $100 on that UT game and I didn't bet the spread, I bet the straight money line for UT to win out right getting 2-1. I'll never bet on UT like that agian though because it made that game quite painful to watch.

I want to start with this. Reggie Bush didn't deserve the Heisman before this game, and he sure as hell didn't deserve it afterwards. Reggie Bush racked up those impressive stats against teams that are overrated. UCLA could just as easily be 7-5 as they are 10-2. Notre Dame is a good team just not the 6th best team. A rating they get simply because they are called Notre Dame. And Fresno State is a WAC team that came out and played the best game they have ever played on offence. Which is good for Bush because normally he'd have been pulled out in the third quarter. But the voters who had Vince Young in the lead, after dominating an underrated Big 12 that proved itself in the bowl season, moved Bush ahead because they like pretty numbers.

So going into this game I felt good. I thought UT's defence would have an anwer for USC, but the one thing I didn't count on was how great Matt Leinart is. I watched Notre Dame, and some of the UCLA game, and I didn't see anything too impressive. I just assumed that he racked up points against the PAC10's shitty defence, and I never saw the Oklahoma game. But Matt Leinart played just as amazing a second half as Vince Young. He was unstoppable, and UT was playing good defence.

So it comes down to that ending. There's a lot of talk about whether Pete Carrol going for it on 4th and 1 was the right move. OF COURSE it was. The way Vince Young was playing with 2 timeouts and 2 minutes, USC wasn't going to stop him no matter what. The key was for them to keep control of the momentum. Where USC was wrong, in my oppinion, was in slowing down on that last drive. They should have walked out on that field like they were the ones down, and that they needed at least 3 because UT was unstoppable. Against any other team in college football, slowing down was the right thing to do. Not only because Texas' potent offence, but also because Texas was one of the few teams with a defence capable of stopping them as they proved in the first half. Just let Matt Leinart lead the team just like he did the entire 2nd half.

Well, UT won the most exciting football game I've ever watched. I will admit this, going into the game, I confidently boasted that UT was the best team in the nation. That's why I bet the straight wager. After the game, although UT won, you really can't say one team is better than the other. However getting 2-1 on your money, I would certainly bet on either team. (If I were a heartless gambler that could bet against his alma mater.)

Hook 'em Horns

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home