Thursday, December 08, 2005

[Edit: Andy has informed me there is no reason to read this post if you already read Scott's, but I think I tell the story well, so give it a go if you are bored.]

Well, it's been a pretty good week here in Hawaii. Hiked 3000 feet up a mountain, and swam half a mile to an island. The good news: Scott and I plan on doing the same thing next weekend, just a different island, and a different mountain. Anyways, Scott and I go to swim to ths island on Sunday, and it's raining. Being the Billy Badasses that we are, we decide to swim to the island anyways. Mind you it is lightening, and this is the first time Scott has seen lightning in Hawaii in the 2 years he has been here. But we are in the ocean and the lightning needs to travel to the ground to make a closed circuit leading to electric shock and cardiac arrest. (I am a computer Engineer, and the last sentence may have sounded good, but it was complete BS.)

Where was I? Yeah well we are swimming out to this island. The first time we swam to the island, I didn't exactly know how to swim, and I basically doggy paddled the whole way there. I hid it pretty well, but I was actually a little scared I couldn't make it, so that fear carried over just a tad even though I swim everyday now.

Little recap - A. I'm not a great swimmer. B. It is lightenining and thundering. So we are swimming, and about 5 minutes into the swm, Scott decides to mention that the water is a pretty mirky, and sharks swim toward the coast in mirky water because they can't see and they are confused.

Right about then I completely freak out on the inside. Get that feeling where your throat falls to your stomach. Then I look at Scott and say let's do it. BECAUSE WE ARE HARDCORE!. And then I kind of wade around for a couple more minutes trying to decide if we should go or not, but eventually, I decide we should swim to the island. I spent the next 5 minutes looking out for sharks in my 3 foot range of visibility.

A good f'ing weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog an reading Scott's blog concerning the same topic reminds me of the gospels of the Bible. Though, if Jesus was all that the apostles claimed...he could have just walked to the island and it would've been raining wine.

Anywho...I'd like to know Rob's opinion regarding the claims that there are covert POW camps in eastern Europe being run by the CIA. Because the USA must comply with the protocols of the Geneva Convention and cannot torture terrorists, do you believe it is more than just mere chicanery to participate in foreign prisoner rendering (i.e. sending prisoners to countries that ARE able to conduct acts of torture)? Subquestion--Should the American people be aware that such actions take place (full disclosure of government acts)?

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home