Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Oh Religion

Good old religion. You know there once was a time where I thought I had it all figured out. I knew I was right, and I felt pretty darn good about being right. I guess I kind of got a little older, matured a bit, and can really think about things. When it comes down to it, all I really get out of my views on the world is the arrogant ability to say I´m right and everyone else is wrong. The irony is that I profess that you can´t know, but I know that you can´t know therefore, I am right and you are wrong.

Here´s the kicker though. I get the ability to be right, and although on one level I do feel good about being right, on another level I feel like an isolated asshole. My views on the world don´t really offer any true happiness.

Now, you would think that I also get the ability to do whatever I want, whenever I want, completely guilt free, but I don´t. The thing is that my morality is the only thing that I have. Since I don´t have god, it´s the only thing I have to make sense of things. When I order a water at a restaurant, I don´t sneak the coke because it would be wrong. I don´t tell white lies because the truth is all I got. And poker, although I play, I feel completely awful about it no matter how hard I try to justify it.

On the other hand you have the christians. I was talking to this old lady the other day who said her husband died 9 months ago and the only thing that got her through the days was her faith in God. Whether, I like it or not, it´s true. She´s created a relationship with God that gives her strength and happiness. Beyond that, she has an awesome community of friends in family united in faith that will always help her in her time of need.

However, christians can´t do whatever they want, whenever they want, without guilt, but they do. Granted, many of them are indeed good people, but I also know many that float around doing the things they do, and then god will forgive them when they go to church on Sunday.

I suppose I could go over the deep end, and start praising our almighty saviour, the lord, jesus christ, but everybody knows that would be supremely inauthentic. If I could take a believe in Jesus pill, I would. There really is no good reason not to believe in Jesus.

Ok, I´m tired of writing. Publish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home