Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ok so right now I'm at Thomas's. After I left Austin I went through Fredricksburg, which was absolutely beautiful. There's a winery, some peach farms, and Hill country. It'd be a great place to go for a weekend with the wife for my married friends. I stopped at the Gatti's for some pizza, and the Astros game. The astros turned out to be a real disappointment this season. In that last game, the pitching only gave up 3 points with a starter that hadn't started before, and the batting couldn't pull off a win. And then St. Louis lost both of their games. I'm not happy at all. Anyways, I ended up driving another 200 miles that night, and broke 100k on the Jetta.

The next day I got up early, and then I drove down to Big Bend. I made it to Emory peak, the highest point in the park, that night just in time for sunset. I was gonna night hike it to my camp site, but then I remembered that mountain lions like to hunt at night. BTW, that's why zebras are black and white. Anyways, I made myself really scared after I remembered this, and I pitched my tent in the middle of the trail, right away. It's pretty unlikely that I would be attacked, but hiking alone at night greatly increases my chances.

The next day, I finally made it out to the other side of the park. I saw Santa Elena, and I went to my campsite in the desert. It was too hot, so I decided to keep driving and leave the park. I made it to El Paso at about 6:00, and I got to meet Thomas' wife and 2 step-kids. Thomas is doing quite well. He's a salesman for a shipping company. He's just getting started right nonw. He's struggling a bit, but I'm sure things will go good once he learns the business.

We went to Juarez twice. The first time, his wife, Erica, came along. Both times were fun, but Juarez isn't too safe.

Picture of the remnants of eroded mountains taken while driving south to Big Bend. After this region is miles and miles of dessert that had me worried that Big Bend might not bee all that special.


View of the park taken from Emory peak.


Flower field near the South Rim


Bocillas Canyon


Santa Elena Canyon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home